Look But Don't Touch?? C'mon!!
I have been conditioned not to touch. Whether it is candy in the check-out line, an interesting worm in a bit of mud, or a hot stove. NEVER has the phrase "don't touch" held as much power as it does in an art exhibit. I understand the reasons: my hands may be dirty, or calloused. I am mostly likely harboring art damaging oils in my skin. Or, worse of all, I may ruin the piece (an act punishable by death). Fine, I get it.
But why do artists, who don't want me to touch their work, make pieces out of materials such as felt, pom poms, and smooth fabrics?? Materials whose sole reason for existence is to be touched, or rubbed repeatedly so that it may soothe me. It's hell for a tactile learner!
Don't get me wrong, I am not to be compared to Lennie from the novel Of Mice and Men. I understand the concept of boundaries and I do refrain from touching the items. No one has to worry about me going off the deep end and rubbing a whole into an artwork. All I'm saying is this: If you are going to tempt me this way, provide me SOMETHING to touch.
There are various offenders in the current Ohio Art League Juried Exhibition. Before I go into my "Pieces that Deserve Fingerprints" Awards, let me state that I love all of the pieces that I am about to mention. Now onto the awards!
In 5th place:

This piece has three elements of "touch me": Felt, being HUGE and a zipper. This huge tree is covered in felt. . .FELT!! Soft, fuzzy, rub me FELT. There is so much potential to touch this while staring up at the branches and daydreaming. The icing on the cake is the zipper. I don't know how many of you have ever waited for a school bus on a warm morning, if you never have let me tell you a little something: playing with the zipper on your spring coat, running it up and down, is the choice way to spend your time.
4th place:

This piece has AMAZING pieces of fabric! Not only does it look smooth and cool to the touch, the fabrics have the gall to be in bright, vibrant colors! Way to reel me in Ms. Stichweh. I would greatly appreciate a separate swatch of the fabric (to be placed somewhere near the piece) so that I could touch something. . .anything. . .please?
3rd place:

This piece evokes the desire to touch in a different capacity: as a means of relating and sympathizing. This artist deals with issues of race and ignorance, particularly through the lens of community and history. For the artist, whose goal is to touch viewers emotionally, this piece is a testament to the emotional power of art. It left me with a desire to touch the piece in an attempt to gain a physical connection to the experiences that led to its creation. I also wanted to touch those that went through those experiences to offer comfort or support. Not being able to do so immediately left me with nervous energy. What better way to expel it than by touching, a slow methodical running of fingertips across the piece would have calmed me. Don't leave me hangin' Tyrome!
2nd place:

This piece is made of pom poms. Therefore there is not only the desire to touch this piece with my hands, but it must also be rubbed against my cheek. It also resembles a color baby chick, another thing which must be touched and rubbed against your cheek. It's almost too much. I give this piece a wide berth when viewing just in case the urges become too strong.
. . .and the trophy goes to:

This piece wins because I want to do more than just touch it. I want to disturb it. I want to run my hand along it, I want to blow on it and watch pieces of it move and I am dying to shake it and hear the noise. At least I am willing to admit to the overwhelming inner-child issues this piece evokes.
Honorable Mention:
In this piece the artist does provide the following note: Please interact with this piece but do not remove and pieces." Thank you Renee for thinking of those who NEED to touch.
But why do artists, who don't want me to touch their work, make pieces out of materials such as felt, pom poms, and smooth fabrics?? Materials whose sole reason for existence is to be touched, or rubbed repeatedly so that it may soothe me. It's hell for a tactile learner!
Don't get me wrong, I am not to be compared to Lennie from the novel Of Mice and Men. I understand the concept of boundaries and I do refrain from touching the items. No one has to worry about me going off the deep end and rubbing a whole into an artwork. All I'm saying is this: If you are going to tempt me this way, provide me SOMETHING to touch.
There are various offenders in the current Ohio Art League Juried Exhibition. Before I go into my "Pieces that Deserve Fingerprints" Awards, let me state that I love all of the pieces that I am about to mention. Now onto the awards!
In 5th place:

David Murphy and Sharon McJannet
In Waiting
Tree, Felt, Thread, Zipper
180" x 120" x 120"
2008
In Waiting
Tree, Felt, Thread, Zipper
180" x 120" x 120"
2008
This piece has three elements of "touch me": Felt, being HUGE and a zipper. This huge tree is covered in felt. . .FELT!! Soft, fuzzy, rub me FELT. There is so much potential to touch this while staring up at the branches and daydreaming. The icing on the cake is the zipper. I don't know how many of you have ever waited for a school bus on a warm morning, if you never have let me tell you a little something: playing with the zipper on your spring coat, running it up and down, is the choice way to spend your time.
4th place:

Joanne Stichweh
Manuscript Garden with Indian Elephant
Acrylic, Oil Stick, Collage on Wood Panel
24" x 80"
2008
Manuscript Garden with Indian Elephant
Acrylic, Oil Stick, Collage on Wood Panel
24" x 80"
2008
This piece has AMAZING pieces of fabric! Not only does it look smooth and cool to the touch, the fabrics have the gall to be in bright, vibrant colors! Way to reel me in Ms. Stichweh. I would greatly appreciate a separate swatch of the fabric (to be placed somewhere near the piece) so that I could touch something. . .anything. . .please?
3rd place:

Tyrome Stewart
Chocolate City
Mixed Media
4' x 10'
2008
Chocolate City
Mixed Media
4' x 10'
2008
This piece evokes the desire to touch in a different capacity: as a means of relating and sympathizing. This artist deals with issues of race and ignorance, particularly through the lens of community and history. For the artist, whose goal is to touch viewers emotionally, this piece is a testament to the emotional power of art. It left me with a desire to touch the piece in an attempt to gain a physical connection to the experiences that led to its creation. I also wanted to touch those that went through those experiences to offer comfort or support. Not being able to do so immediately left me with nervous energy. What better way to expel it than by touching, a slow methodical running of fingertips across the piece would have calmed me. Don't leave me hangin' Tyrome!
2nd place:

Ginnie Baer
Load Bearing
Figurine, Pom Poms
8" x 6" x 3"
2008
Load Bearing
Figurine, Pom Poms
8" x 6" x 3"
2008
This piece is made of pom poms. Therefore there is not only the desire to touch this piece with my hands, but it must also be rubbed against my cheek. It also resembles a color baby chick, another thing which must be touched and rubbed against your cheek. It's almost too much. I give this piece a wide berth when viewing just in case the urges become too strong.
. . .and the trophy goes to:

Eva Ball
Something I Could Be
Paper, Metal, Fabric, Flour
2007
Something I Could Be
Paper, Metal, Fabric, Flour
2007
This piece wins because I want to do more than just touch it. I want to disturb it. I want to run my hand along it, I want to blow on it and watch pieces of it move and I am dying to shake it and hear the noise. At least I am willing to admit to the overwhelming inner-child issues this piece evokes.
Honorable Mention:
Renee Zamora
Meat Made Easy
Mixed Media
3' x 2.75'
2008
Meat Made Easy
Mixed Media
3' x 2.75'
2008
In this piece the artist does provide the following note: Please interact with this piece but do not remove and pieces." Thank you Renee for thinking of those who NEED to touch.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home